Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Chapter 21 - Relationship!

MY QUESTION:
Relationship!

Now there is a word or a statement of how to live. “A relationship is based on what you can freely give to the other and not upon what you can get from the other”. I spent most of my 52 years not knowing that. I am now trying to ask GOD to forgive me for applying the incorrect meaning of “relationship” to our relationship (GOD’s and mine).
GOD can you forgive me for being me?
Anyone else find difficulty in developing a relationship with GOD and others?


Discussion: Relationship!
Ditto. I was reading in "What's So Amazing About Grace?" today and came across this very concept. Anytime a spiritual directive is presented to me multiple times, I pay attention. I thank God for giving us (His children) the desire to be more like Christ. Thanks for this post; it was just for me.
By Mary K. S

Discussion: Relationship!
Yes, John, I do find difficulty in developing a relationship with God. I grew up with an idea that God was judgmental and distant. I do think we need to respect and obey God, but I also think that God is loving and forgiving, and wants a relationship with His children. I have had several people tell me that Christianity is not a religion, but a relationship with God.
In terms of others, I think giving and getting needs to be in balance. Too much giving can lead to codependency; too much getting is selfish.
By Lisa A. N

Discussion: Relationship!
Be encouraged John, because God knows how desperate you are for relationship with Him. And the good news is you don't have to even wonder if God can forgive you when, in fact, He already has! Hold onto the truth of Romans 8:1, "there is therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." He's simply not just sitting up in heaven going over a list of your offenses; rather, He sees you through the blood of Jesus and all that "stuff" you're still carrying can be dumped at the foot of the cross. His blood is sufficient to wash away every sin and begging for forgiveness is no longer necessary. Once you recognize and acknowledge a transgression to Him, just accept His forgiveness and leave the guilt behind for you are NOT condemned!
By Barbara P

Discussion: Relationship!
Disagree fully. My relationship with God is based on the fact that:
1. I give him my entire life freely,
2. He gives me grace, mercy and a hope for salvation.

Every relationship requires participation from both sides -- no matter the fact that one side might have great shortcomings (that's us) and the other side gives way more (that's God).
If I want a true relationship with God, I have to do my part by laying down my life, freely, whole-heartedly, and with full trust and faith that He will show mercy to someone, like that of myself, does not deserve it.
By Ken H

Discussion: Relationship!
I have heard it said...
DON'T make Jesus first in your life... make Him EVERYTHING!
If we develop our walk with Jesus with this as our goal... how could our other relationships not improve?
By Robert D

Discussion: Relationship!
Relationship is a process of relating to another person. It takes learning, honesty and trust. If our vertical relationship with God is properly aligned (not using words of others but words of God directly as our relationship is with Him directly via Jesus Christ), then consequently our horizontal relationships with others will improve.
Relationship are not intellectual, they involve the heart. If our relationship with God does not involve our hearts, it isn't a real relationship, it is an acquaintanceship.
How do we engage our hearts with God? Love. The same Love He has shown to us. We do this by telling Him we love Him, and regularly, seeking to honor Him, admitting where we are wrong, and trusting Him to be faithful to us.
Examples of this real relationship are found throughout God's Word, most obviously by Jesus Christ.
By Gretchen O

Discussion: Relationship!
All of these comments are so true. Our faith is about relationship and fellowship with our Daddy. GOD is the only one that can love us as unconditionally as He does. Praise God for His truth that confirms this and the people (YOU) He uses to proclaim it.
By Sholunda Osby-B

Discussion: Relationship!
John 4:7, 8 7 Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. 8 But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love. This is the key to every relationship with God and others!
By Scott D

Discussion: Relationship!
John I can relate. I also have difficulty relating to God and the people around me. I just keep trying knowing that God is patient and He know how I am. That's the great thing about Him I don't have to explain much just learn to connect. Thanks for sharing
By A.E. S

Discussion: Relationship!
God created us for relationship, both with Himself and with others. As adults, our primary and first responsibility is right relationship with God. After that, our second responsibility is with others. For people who have difficulty in true intimacy, we can use our Christian service as an excuse for not developing authentic relationships with others in exactly the same way that the Pharisees allowed money to be declared, "corban." Our spouses and children require our time, attention and affection. We cannot make the mistake of assuming that just because we are performing "spiritual" works in the name of "being right with God," that the rest of our relationships will "naturally" be fine.
In my own walk, I have found that the more I can love other people and receive freely from them as well as give freely to them; my ability to love God and to allow Him to love others through me also deepens. In other words, we love anything and/or anyone because God loved us *first* (1Jn 4:19). Then, our ability to give and receive love is deepened through our human relationships as we mature in love (1Jn 4:20, 21). And love supports all good things, believes all good things (abandoning cynicism), hopes all good things (with expectancy), and protects all good things (1Cor 13:7). That understanding leaves no room for codependency or opportunism.
By Jane B

Discussion: Relationship!
First and foremost you need to realize that God loves you no matter what! God's love far outweighs any other kind of love that we humans can have without God. No matter how your earthly parents have raised you with or without love, God's love will always go over and beyond any understanding of our limited understanding because God Himself is Love. Focus on Galatians 5, 1 Corinthians 13, 1 John 4.
By Scott D      
 
Discussion: Relationship!
God is only referred to as "father" because we receive inheritance through our fathers. Love is aside from, without, gender. This is precisely why the Bride of Christ is commanded to especially love the "fatherless" - people who are without godly inheritance from their earthly fathers, who have not been "fathered well." We can experience love through all of our brethren. Gender is beside the point.
By Jane B

Discussion: Relationship!
I agree with Robert-my life verse is Matthew 6:33-but seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as we'll. I find that when I am doing this, my relationship with God is right, which in turns helps my relationships with everyone in my circle of influence! And praise God John that you have a relationship with God-even at age 52, better late than never. I know because I was a borderline atheist for the first 33 years of my life, truly undeserving of His grace and mercy!
By Vien P

Discussion: Relationship!
1 John 1:7 - "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."
For me, I have "given up" spending tons of time and energy "building" relationships. I try and focus all of my relationship building on working on my relationship with God.
This verse tells us that if our relationship with God is right, we will have proper relationships with others who are likewise seeking Him. These relationships will indeed and in truth be real "fellowship".
If we are in right relationship with God (i.e. walking in the Light), then we will be led by the Holy Spirit, and that will put us in the proper relationship with others.
(Note: God is the one that defines "proper relationship". Remember, His ways are not ours.)
By Robert D

Discussion: Relationship!
John, I think if we are honest we have all been there to some extent or another. It takes a true commitment on our end no matter what happens! Love is not so much a feeling as it is a choice we make. Being dedicated is hard and very difficult at times, especially when things don't go the way we want them to go. I certainly have had to get on my knees many a time and ask the Father to forgive me.
But oh the joy that comes from His forgiveness. Jesus did truly pay it all!
Thank you for your post and being so transparent. I hope you have a truly Blessed day.
Your Sister in Christ
By Sandra B



No comments:

Post a Comment